627 replies to this topic

#621 Miche

Miche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:57 PM

Are there more restrictions to playing different gametypes with 1fx Gold rocmod than in a standard Rocmod based mod?

I thought that the only authorized/coded gametypes in the fx version of Gold were ctf, dem, dm, elim, inf and tdm.

This evening i ran a session on our server with a couple of CTF maps with the DM and TDM and as i had seta g_ctfClassic "2" in the config.cfg
the surprise was that both ctf gametypes in the mapcycle became CCTF. So it works ! :)
I also tried caserun gametype but the game launched a tdm instead :(

I always imagined that all of the mp maps in the game were compatible 100% with other gametypes (with a few exceptions).

Edited by Miche, 08 April 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#622 Janno

Janno

henkie loves me

• Moderators
  • 599 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:25 AM

View PostMiche, on 08 April 2018 - 03:57 PM, said:

Are there more restrictions to playing different gametypes with 1fx Gold rocmod than in a standard Rocmod based mod?

I thought that the only authorized/coded gametypes in the fx version of Gold were ctf, dem, dm, elim, inf and tdm.

This evening i ran a session on our server with a couple of CTF maps with the DM and TDM and as i had seta g_ctfClassic "2" in the config.cfg
the surprise was that both ctf gametypes in the mapcycle became CCTF. So it works ! :)
I also tried caserun gametype but the game launched a tdm instead :(

I always imagined that all of the mp maps in the game were compatible 100% with other gametypes (with a few exceptions).

How did you try running caserun? Caserun requires gametype inf and g_caserun set to 1 as I recall.
HENKHODOREHODOREHODORE

#623 Miche

Miche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 12:43 AM

I set g_caserun to "1"  but when i tried g_gametype caserun and map restart the game restarted with team deathmatch.

In fact stq is like a DM but with a suitcase. It's exactly like inf but not with teams. When you launch gametype inf there are 2
teams. The gametype i wanted was without teams but with a suitcase. So probably that isn't coded for 1fx Gold.

Never mind at least we know how to run CCTF now;

#624 Miche

Miche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:03 AM

Could someone tell me please what's the best way of enabling players to download custom
maps using an external link? With around 9 customs in the mapcycle it would probably slow
everyone else down if the maps were downloaded  directly from the server.

#625 Janno

Janno

henkie loves me

• Moderators
  • 599 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted 11 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostMiche, on 11 April 2018 - 12:43 AM, said:

I set g_caserun to "1"  but when i tried g_gametype caserun and map restart the game restarted with team deathmatch.

In fact stq is like a DM but with a suitcase. It's exactly like inf but not with teams. When you launch gametype inf there are 2
teams. The gametype i wanted was without teams but with a suitcase. So probably that isn't coded for 1fx Gold.

Never mind at least we know how to run CCTF now;
g_caserun 1
g_gametype inf

Caserun requires the gametype to be inf. :) We don't have a DM based caserun at the moment indeed. @BoeMan should check it if he would be up for it.

View PostMiche, on 11 April 2018 - 02:03 AM, said:

Could someone tell me please what's the best way of enabling players to download custom
maps using an external link? With around 9 customs in the mapcycle it would probably slow
everyone else down if the maps were downloaded  directly from the server.

You can use the HTTP Downloader for gold, I'm not sure if there's a tutorial on how to set it up somewhere over here.
HENKHODOREHODOREHODORE

#626 Miche

Miche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 03:47 PM

I just found this which goes back to 2015 so don't know if it's out of date now  :
http://www.sof2.org/...vote=viewresult

i see these paramaters in the config.cfg filefor the server :

1) seta g_httpBaseURL        "none"    // The base URL clients download maps from.

If i had a space on the net where files could be downloaded i suppose i'd just have to put the @ to access in this CVAR.

2) seta g_httpRefPaks        "none"    // A space delimited list of .pk3 files you want the client to download when connecting to your server, or a .txt file that contains all .pk3s (same system, also space delimited).
Is this a folder i'd create on the server with the files inside? What is the limitation for space authorized?

3) Woiuld client additions have to be enabled on the server for these options?

Sorry but i'm trying to make sure i understand everything so i can avoid doing anything stupid :rolleyes:

Edited by Miche, 11 April 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#627 BoeMan

BoeMan

Developer

• Administrators
  • 3988 posts
  • LocationFrysl├ón

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:44 PM

At the moment you don't have many viable options to choose from.

Downloading directly from the server doesn't slow the server down that much, but it is dog slow for players by default (from 1 to ~15 KB/s depending on the players' rate). That results in waiting a good 5 minutes to download a 5 MB pk3, at best. Nope, not a good option.

The alternative is enabling the 1fx. Client Additions, which is largely deprecated because enabling them requires players to download an updated client. HoP has tested this system for a long time, resulting in them almost being blown away entirely by the competition due to severe player loss. Players on SoF2 aren't the brightest and aren't willing to do anything.

Right now you're kind of out of options. I suggest you wait for my other project to finish which will make downloading from the server faster (up to ~1 MB/s, or 1024 KB/s) or offer your a download link on your website. Personally, right now, I'd go with the latter.
Kind regards,

BoeMan

#628 Miche

Miche

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:56 PM

OK thanks for all the details !

I put a pop-up comment on the server asking players to download our customs but i'm pretty sure that either
some of them can't read English, they don't understand the message or just plain lazy :lol: !

I love the sentence about Sof2 players  - you put it very politely but never was a truer word spoken B)

I think i'll just be patient and wait for your project and in the meantime continue with downloads from our m8 webby.

Edited by Miche, 12 April 2018 - 10:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users